Thursday, August 21, 2008

The EGD

The husband had his EGD done today. EGD is an upper gastrointestinal scan. They put a tiny little scope and camera down the throat and take pictures of the esophagus, and different sections of the stomach to check for abnormalities or growths, polyps, etc. They need to do this because it would be the last time a scope or camera can be put through the stomach.

I wasn't sure if the clinic had informed him earlier that he would be sedated but he was of the opinion that he would not be and could drive himself home.
I asked him again just to be sure. Because it was a Thursday and I usually have a full day of meetings at work. He said they'll just numb him. Ok.

At 9am, he sends me an email at work and tells me that they do not necessarily have to sedate him but they will if necessary and therefore, might require someone to be there before they do the procedure.

I talked to my boss and got the green light to leave at 1pm.

There was no way I could drive 25 miles home to pick Jason up and drive 20 miles up again for his 1pm appointment. But I could meet him at the clinic. I got there at 1.25pm. He was dressed in a hospital gown and fancy shower cap slippers. I regret not having my camera with me.

The procedure was over in 15 minutes but he had to be in recovery for about 30 minutes.

The doctor then talked to me and showed me the report and pictures of the scan and told me it was all good except for a slight inflammation. (It was from the stomach bug he had last week).

He woke up about 30 minutes later, they wheeled him out in a wheelchair and I drove the car up to the entrance.

He was whoozy and said he felt like he had a couple of drinks and could not remember a single thing.
But he needed food because he had not eaten breakfast nor lunch so we went to the buffet.

Got home and he fell asleep till late evening. And we drove back to the clinic to get his car.

No comments: