Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Weight-Loss seminar

There was a seminar at the bariatric hospital for the Lap-Band and Gastric Bypass and we signed up for it. It was very informative and after the seminar, we were able to ask the doctor any questions.

It was after this seminar that Jason decided that perhaps the gastric bypass was what he wanted. So we brought our files home and continued reading and researching on the gastric bypass.

Honestly, I am still scared and hesitant about having him go through either procedure. I wish he did not have to do this.

These are some of the complications of gastric bypass. How can I feel okay about this whole thing after reading the complications? But the husband is stubborn and also optimistic.

I, on the other hand, is the worry-wart and the pessimistic one.


What are some of the possible complications of gastric bypass?

  • Over one-third of the people who have gastric bypass surgery develop gallstones.
  • People who have had this surgery are more likely to develop liver problems.
  • Between 10 and 20 percent require a second surgery to repair a complication. The most common complication is a hernia. It is also possible for the staples to pull loose (so there is no longer a pouch).
  • It is possible for a leak to occur from the stomach or intestine into the abdominal cavity. This will result in a serious infection called peritonitis.
  • There is a very small risk of death from the surgery. About 1 in 2,000 (0.5%) people die from the surgery.
  • Complications of a laparoscopic approach include leaks in the abdominal cavity and a blocked bowel. This approach has not been used long enough to draw significant conclusions.
  • Other risks associated with major surgery include infection in the incision, an abscess inside the abdomen, deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay so I just linked over here, and my comment is so months late. But, I find it interesting that the surgery can cause liver problems. Some one my family had the surgery, BECAUSE they had liver problems. They basically had the liver of a lifetime alcoholic, even though they never drank. The doctors hoped that the weight loss would help reverse the condition. I guess if you already HAVE liver problems, the possibility of the surgery causing more problems isn't as big of a concern.

Bern said...

This whole thing is so confusing that's why it scares the heck out of me. The more I read, the more stressed I get. I guess it's better for me to be scared than the patient himself, right?