Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The system here

This is strange. Almost ridiculous that nobody can tell us how much this surgery would cost.
We asked the hospital what our out-of-pocket expenses would be for the surgery. They told us we need to call and ask the Insurance company and gave us a CPT code as reference.
We call the Insurance company and they cannot give us an estimate figure but that we're responsible for 10% of the allowed charges which would be billed after the Insurance Company handles the claim.

So, how can one know if they can afford the surgery if they are not told what the cost would be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insurance companies are annoying. I think they won't give an estimate b/c they're afraid you'll then come back and try to use it against them. Which they couldn't, because that operator you get has no authority. I tried to find out how much my c-section would be, when we only had one insurance, and they said they needed the code. Like there's no generic code for c-section. I flipped out and yelled at her, "I just found out I'm having triplets and am looking at hospital bills 3X as high as I ever thought, I just want an estimate of one!" And she just kept repeating "I need the code." bitch.

Bern said...

Those darn codes.
Even when we gave them the code, they could not provide us with an estimate. It makes no sense to me at all. Now I kinda understand why so many people end up not paying their medical bills.